Vs Holyhead 28/03/15 JL Cup

Holyhead 1-1 Llangoed

We arrived in Holyhead on a very windy morning. The heavy rain earlier on had subsided as the boys ran out to warm up. We had been told that the league representative would be presenting the League medals to Holyhead and Llangoed before the match. Mr Steve Smith duly turned up on the stroke of 10.30 to hand out the runners up medals to Llangoed and winners medals to Holyhead.

The game finally kicked off and Llangoed won the toss with Josh electing to play with the wind in the first half. Llangoed kicked off and much of the early play was made inside the Holyhead half whilst both teams got to grips with the very blustery conditions. Holyhead were having difficulty clearing their lines against the strong gusts. Llangoed, for their part, struggled to gauge the weight of their passes correctly with many being over hit.

Llangoed had a few early chances but the two or three good shots on goal were well saved by Harry Rees who was in fine form between the sticks. Llangoed’s best chance came after an excellent run by Ethan who skipped past five Holyhead players before being fouled just outside the penalty area. Lewis stepped up for the resulting free kick but hit it too close tot he goalkeeper who gathered and cleared.

The first half finished with the score 0-0 and the Llangoed supporters thinking it was not going to be their day as we had to play an entire second half against the wind. The half time team talk from the manager and assistant must have worked because Llangoed came out and immediately went on the offensive with both Cai and Thomas coming close. The deadlock was finally broken when Aaron, who was playing one of his best games, played the ball through to Cai, who played the ball through to Jacob who went round a Holyhead defender and stroked the ball into an empty net to put the visitors 1-0 up.

Holyhead pressed harder in the minutes that followed but could not get past the implacable Llangoed defence, especially Tom Roberts who was having an exceptional game at right back. Shaun only had a couple of saves to make all half when Holyhead had a corner which dropped into a dangerous area. In the confusion, the ball was mishit by a Llangoed player and bobbled into the back of the net for the Holyhead equalizer.

With a few minutes left on the clock, Holyhead tried to press the advantage only to be caught out twice with through balls, the first was hit over as Cai tried to chip the keeper and the second was a scorching volley from Aaron which narrowly went over. The referee finally blew for full time.

Final score 1-1.

Well done to the boys on both teams. An excellent game to watch, played in great spirit, in very difficult conditions.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *