Vs Holyhead A 110317

Holyhead A  0 – 1  Llangoed

Scorer for Llangoed was Sam Gregson

Man of the Match was Sam Gregson

Llangoed travelled to Holyhead A for an early 0930 kick off with a slightly depleted squad of 15. It was a grey and overcast day with fine drizzle and the pitch was very soft in places. Holyhead were looking for revenge after being knocked out of the NWCFA cup in a very intense match a few weeks previously. Referee Carl Hagan blew for kick off with Holyhead playing with the wind behind them in the first half. Holyhead are a well organised and technically good side and they were immediately on the front foot, playing some nice passing football and pressing high up the pitch. It was anticiapted this would be a blood and thunder tie and it didn’t disappoint with both teams having chances but Holyhead were having more of the play early on. Just before the 20 minutes mark, an uncharacteristic defensive error from Llangoed gave Holyhead a free kick just outside the box, a three man wall of Lewis, Hari and Lloyd was set up and Sol stepped up to deliver a cracking effort that was going in to the far left hand side until Shaun leapt across to produce a stunning save and tipped it wide with the end of his glove. Last 10 minutes of the half and Holyhead were mounting the pressure now and were keeping Llangoed penned in their own half with the Llangoed defence managing to disrupt the Holyhead play just enough to stop them getting shots off. Thats how the first half finished with honours even.

The second half kicked off with Llangoed playing with the wind at their backs and a markedly different attitude. Llangoed had brought on all the subs and Ben and Josh moving alongside Sam in midfield. Holyhead were still passing well and Llangoed were making hard work of it. Dafydd had to come off with a cut to his head after coming into contact with studs after challenge from a Holyhead player. Lloyd and Cai both came close with shots that were saved by some excellent work from Harry Rees in the Holyhead net. Five minutes fom time and it looked like thsi would end up as an exhilarating draw when Sam picked the ball up and shot an abosute corker from 3o yards which left Harry Rees with absolutely no chance as it dipped into the top corner to make it 1-0 to Llangoed and the team went mad. The last 5 minutes were nervous times as Holyhead threw everything at Llangoed but the defence held firm and the players celebrated when the ref blew for full time in an excellent game. Thanks to Holyhead for the hospitality and yet another incredibly competetive, tough match played in the right kind of spirit. Next up is the semi final of the NWCFA cup against Amlwch next week.